Friday, March 30, 2012

My daughter

For those that know me well enough you already know that I have always wanted a big family.  The number I always tell people is 5 kids.  We aren't making any decisions about #5 yet, because we definitely want to enjoy Darby.  I have also said that if I had to choose it would be all boys.  For whatever reason, less drama, more action, sports, I just had it in my head that all boys would be so much fun. 

At the beginning of this pregnancy I wondered if I would have a girl.  What are the odds of having four boys? And what are the odds of my parents having 11 grandchildren with only 1 granddaughter in the mix?  But as the pregnancy progressed I had very little reason to believe it was a girl. I felt the same, nauseous etc., felt like I carried it the same (although I think I gained more weight with this one) and the heartbeat was exactly what the other boys had.  I was convinced we were having a boy! I had a few people say they thought it was a girl, but I thought they were just wishing for one.

When the doctor announced "it's a girl!"  I was shocked.  I laughed and cried at the same time.  Brad and I looked at each other and didn't know what to say or do.  It was like we were first time parents again.   I still don't know how I was so wrong.


I do know this.  I have a daughter (it's still strange to say).  She is more beautiful than I imagined and as perfect as can be.  She will make me a better person and a better mom in more ways than I know.  I am so thankful for her and so excited to see what God has planned for her life (and mine too). 




1 comment:

MommyBrain said...

great ready for some PINK! what a wonderful surprise! so excited for you! love that she'll have three older brothers to protect her :)