Thursday, August 24, 2023

Alaska!


We have been planning a trip to Alaska since last summer.   It is the 50th state for Brad & Brody (although Brody was only 10 months when he went to Hawaii) and the 49th state for the other kids.  I had already been to all 50.   We had thought about doing a cruise but I proposed the idea of renting an RV so we would have a little more freedom to explore. (Plus I wanted to go to places I hadn't been before, since I had already seen Alaska on a cruise).


Our trip was scheduled for Wednesday, three days after Fafa passed away.  So, we weren't quite sure what to do.  In some ways it felt strange to just continue on with life but we also know that Fafa would have wanted us to go.  (He and Grammy had explored Alaska together and had a wonderful time.)  We were also thankful that Uncle Brian & Aunt Angie were taking good care of Grammy.  That made us feel so much better.   


We woke up REALLY early on Wednesday morning to catch our 7:10 flight.  Papa Bob & Grandma Shari met us at the airport to take our mini van.  (top notch airport shuttle service but I'm not going to tell to many people about it).   Even though it was early the kids were so excited to be going.  Bo, Brody & Darby sat in a row together.  Brad was right behind them and sat next to a guy that LOVED to talk.  I was in a row on the other side with Colt & Ollie.  


We watched movies and played games on our devices.  This ended up not being very good for Bo since he threw up on the plane.  Thankfully he was able to get it in a bag so we didn't have to clean up much. 






We arrived at the airport earlier than our scheduled time which meant we had over an hour until the RV renters were going to meet us.  So we decided to have breakfast at one of the airport restaurants.  Brody & Colt ordered Alaskan sized biscuits.  We asked our server how big they were and it seemed pretty big.  We were all disappointed when they served us with small biscuits.  The rest of the food wasn't that great and we were hoping this wasn't a sign of things to come in Alaska. 




 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I’m so sorry to hear of Mr. Barquist passing. He was the sweetest man and always treated me so kindly. I am praying for you all, please give Brad & Brian my condolences 💗
(Jennifer Hillier Found)