Monday, November 19, 2012

Race Report: Grand Ridge Half

After every baby I have picked a race to train for to help me get back into shape. Since it usually takes me about 3 months before I can do any serious training the earliest I can do a race is about 5 months later. I was considering a race at the end of August but then wanted to preserve our weekends for family stuff. After August is cross country season and its just too hard to plan training runs with Brad coaching. So I had decided not to train for anything. Then it was August and although I was getting workouts in, it just wasn't doing anything for me. I looked at the calendar and found a race after cross country season. It was the Grand Ridge Trail Run, half marathon. 

I convinced my sister, Jessi, and a few friends to run it with me.   Three weeks before the race I went to sign up and it was full.   Jessi and I were put on a wait list. We got in a week before.  

My training was ok, not great.  I had a few minor aches and pains that were a little concerning to me.  But two weeks before the race I went on a trail run (that was part of this same course) and I felt great.  This made me feel pretty good about completing this race.  

The day before the race one of my friend's decided not to run.  Then the night before my sister sent me a text message that she was throwing up and would not be able to run with me.  I am so thankful I still had one person to run with me.  Stacy is a friend of Jessi's (and our family's) from a very long time ago.  It has been fun to reconnect with her and do a few long runs. 

This is us before the race. 
 

Thankfully there is not a picture of us during the race.  


It was a brutal course.  2,100 feet of elevation gain.  The first 5 miles were a lot of uphill.  I was ready for that and expecting it.  And frankly felt proud of myself for how well I was able to get up them.   What I was not prepared for is the downhill between mile 6 and 7 and the turn around point which only meant uphill for mile 8 and 9.   It hurt.  I wanted to stop.  I was wishing someone would just take me away.  And I just wanted it to be all over. 

It finally ended.   I can say I did it.  If I do end up running this again my training is going to be a lot harder and TONS of hills. 

But for now I think I will take up Yoga.  It's so much easier on my body.  

 

No comments: