Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Colt's ER visit

We haven't been to the ER lately so we thought we would visit again. 

Earlier tonight I met a friend for coffee.  Brad called me about 8:40 and told me I should come home because he thought Colt had something lodged in his throat. An ambulance was on its way.  I drove home as quickly as I could. 

Brad had put the boys to bed and they were sleeping until he heard Colt coughing.  He went upstairs to check on him and Colt had a panicked look and a panicked cry.   He was also making a terrible noise every time he inhaled.  Brad's fatherly instincts kicked in and he did everything he could to help Colt and to call for the emergency services. 

When I arrived home there were 2 ambulances in our cul-de-sac.  Brad had Colt and they were ready to head to the ER.  Once they left I called our neighbor (have I mentioned that we have the best neighbors---all of them?) and she came over to watch Brody & Ollie (who were still sleeping).  

After a few questions and standard checkups by the nurses and the doctor they thought Colt had croup.  Brad wasn't entirely convinced so we had them take a chest x-ray.  The x-rays found nothing and Colt was given some medicine to help the croup.  (as a side note- the only symptoms he had before going to bed was a slight runny nose.  I would hardly call it a cold.) 

Colt has always been the one who is shy around strangers, who won't let you touch him to take his temperature and is always wanting his mom to be right by his side.  But not tonight.  He was such a trooper.  Brad said he had a difficult time getting him calmed down but once he said the doctor was coming to take care of him he settled down.  With all the prodding, temperature taking and x-rays he was a superstar patient.  We were and still are so proud of him.    Mostly we are thankful that he was well taken care of. 


No comments: